Global Ad Hoc Reports enable the creation of reports within the system by extracting data from multiple application forms across Academic Years, Sponsoring Organizations, and Applications. This feature provides the flexibility to explore beyond singular parameters like a specific year, organization, or application, providing a comprehensive overview of your program's evolution. Users can generate an unlimited number of reports without constraints.
Functionally, the Global Ad hoc Report accesses and exhibits fields aligned with the Master template rather than those from individual applications. It's essential to ensure the inclusion of relevant sections/questions found in the master application, accompanied by corresponding question XMLs and types.
Click on Global Reports > Select Global Ad Hoc Reports
Create a New Report: To generate a report tailored to your specifications, click on the "Create New Report" button as indicated below.
- The following screen is displayed:
- Academic Year: Select the academic report from which you want to extract the data
- Sponsoring Organization – Select the sponsoring organization from the dropdown list.
- Filter by Application: – This feature includes both archived & active applications list and you can filter the applications based upon it.
- Select an application: From the dropdown list select the application from which you want to extract the data.
Next Screen will be displayed as follows:
- Report Name – Enter the name you want to give to the report.
- Report Description – Enter the report description, describing the purpose of the report. Report Visibility – Set access for who can view the report
- Visible to Me Only – Only the person that created the report can view it.
- Visible to All – Allows anyone with a role type that can view reports to be able to view.
Report Includes – Select the Data Areas that contain the various fields within your application that you need to pull into the report. Select each item by putting a checkmark in each area you want to include. You can select one or all of the selections.
It is best practice to include the Application Data in every report so that you can pull on the status of your applicants.
Application Data will allow you to include the following in a report:
|Section Data will allow you to select the sections in your application and the questions in that section. Place a check in the appropriate sections you wish to pull data on.
Award Data will allow you to include the following in a report:
Click Save and Next to proceed to the next section, clicking Cancel will cancel the report and return you to the report listing.
The following screen will appear will you Select the Items to be included in your report. In the Select, an Item selects the section(s) in each Data Area that you want to include.
Select An Item - Click on the dropdown menu. The following Data Area list will appear based on what data elements you previously asked to be included in the above step.
You will select the Section within that Data Area that contains the field, not the actual field yet. The data area will appear in the listing with brackets “[ ]” and then each individual section within that data area will be listed below it. You can only select one section at a time.
Once you select a section in the Select An Item, the Unselected Column will populate with all the available fields in that section.
Select each Individual Field Item/Question that you want as a column in your report by putting a check in the box to the left of the field you want to include in your report. You can select one or all in that section.
Select the arrow pointing to the right to move that selection over to the next column. To move a selection back place a check in the box and click on the arrow pointing to the left.
Repeat the same steps for each section you want to include items for in your report. Continue to select items from the drop-down until you have selected all of the data field columns for your report.
Your screen will look similar to this:
- Note: You will always want to include the Application Data – Status as a column in your report. When running a report all status levels are included and will need to be filtered out in the next step to Add Conditions, or once you run your report it can be exported to excel and filtered in Excel.
If you need to move an item’s order, select the box next to the item you want to move, and click the up/down button until it is moved to the desired location. You can only move one item at a time, therefore, only that selection can be checked to move it.
- Note: Each item you pull to the right is the actual column that will be displayed in your report. Each row of your report will be each individual application showing how those question/item fields were answered within the application process. See below example of a generated report showing how each select field is a column.
Once you have selected all your columns you can click on the Save and Next button to go to the next page and set the filters for your report.
- Previous will bring you back to the previous screen
- Cancel will cancel this report and return you to the list of reports
The next screen is where you will enter the filters for your report.
After you add fields to your report you can add filters to the report.
Filters allow you to filter a group of applicants to only include those applicants in your report that meet a certain condition based on how they answered a specific question or based on their status within the application process.
For example: If an Admin wishes to see a report of only female applicants, you can apply a condition filter to only show applicants that answered Female to the Gender Question.
To add a New Condition Filter to a report, select the Add New Condition button.
The following screen will appear. You will create a line for each filter.
Report Item: Select the Report Data Item that contains the Section Name you want to pull.
Section Name: Select the Section Name that contains the Field Name.
Field Name: Select the Field Name that contains the data you want to set a filter value on.
Filter: This is the condition of the field value you want to select. Select one of the following types:
- Contains: Include if the value field contains this value/answer within the value
- Equals: Include if the value equals this value/answer. (or is exactly this value)
- Not Equal To: Include if the value does not equal this value/answer.
- Is Empty: Include if the value field does not contain any information, the field is blank
- Is Not Empty: Include if the value field contains any information.
- Starts With: Include if the value/answer starts with this value.
- In: Include if the value/answer is in this listing of values.
- Min/Max Value: For numeric values only, enter the minimum to maximum range the value/answer should fall within, in order to include.
- Greater Than: For numeric values only, enter the value in which all value/answers greater than shall be included.
- Less Than: For numeric values only, enter the value in which all values/answers less than shall be selected.
- Filter Value: Enter the exact Value/Answer you want the condition to be set on.
Group: When entering multiple lines of filters, you will need to group those filters into specific groups to pull data effectively.
And/Or: Each time you add a condition and choose and/or in the last field a new search filter row will open up below for you to add your next filter.
When entering multiple lines of condition filters, you will need to explain how each line of filters is to be related to the pulling of data. To add additional lines of filter conditions, you will need to simply choose either the “And” or the “Or” depending on how the current line relates to the next line of conditional filtering. On your last line of filters leave this blank, failing to do so will create an additional line of empty conditions and cause the report to not pull data. If you accidentally add this additional line, you must delete it by clicking the “Delete” next to that line, prior to clicking finish and running your report.
- How to View the newly or existing created report:
To view the report kindly follow the below steps: Click on the eye button as shown on the screenshot.
The following screen will open:
To extract the reports in an excel format kindly click on the Export to Excel button as shown below this will generate an excel copy to your system.
If you want to extract the data for the different report kindly click on the Select a Different Report button as shown below:
- Copy an Existing Ad Hoc Report
Create a new ad hoc report by making a copy of an existing report and then adjust the report settings as needed.
Locate the report you want to copy and click on the Copy icon.
Locate the new report in the Ad Hoc Reports listing.
Click the Edit (pencil) icon to make changes to the new report. Please see the Edit an Ad Hoc Report article for more details.
- Delete an Ad Hoc Report
To delete an ad hoc report, locate the report in the Ad Hoc Reports listing and click the Delete (trash can) icon. Click Ok on the confirmation message.
Note: If the report isn't retrieving any data, please verify whether all the section(s) and question(s) in both the master template and the other applications included in the report are identical. Ensure that the question XMLs and question types are also similar. If they are, please proceed to click on 'Sync Reporting Database' as shown below: